TITLE: Support Services Coordinator / Prevention & Education
REPORTING TO: The CEO
PRINCIPAL ROLE: You will be responsible for providing personal support to AIDS West clients and service users and delivering prevention & education initiatives.
Supporting people living with STIs with a focus on those living with HIV
Pro-actively supporting AIDS West clients and service users
Assisting with Rapid HIV & STI Testing
Development & delivery of education & prevention programmes and initiatives
Maintaining relationships, liaison, and co-operation with staff at the STI Clinic
Maintaining confidential client records
Complete any training that would be necessary to maintain professional competency within the team. Also to facilitate and encourage relevant research projects.
Developing strategies for peer support where appropriate. This could involve supervised meetings between clients, organising peer telephone support, as well as inviting clients to meetings in AIDS West
Networking with other organisations to develop a referral system and to co-ordinate prevention initiatives specifically for the target groups
Compiling statistics and preparing progress reports as required
Contributing to the promotions and activities of AIDS West
Fulfilling any training or tasks as directed by the CEO
There may be some requirements to work evenings and weekends for which the post holder is entitled to time off in lieu.
Support Services Coordinator / Prevention & Education
The successful candidate will have:
• Relevant third level professional qualification for example, Counselling, Social Care, Family Support, Psychology.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience of sexual health and HIV support work is desirable
• A non-judgemental attitude and proven ability of maintaining confidentiality.
• High level of interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to adopt an inclusive approach which embraces difference and diversity.
• Excellent organisational and administrational skills, including good working knowledge of basic computer packages.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Willingness to participate in further relevant training where necessary.
• Proficient oral and written English.
• Clean driving licence and transport.
Salary: €28,000-€37,500 - Dependent upon experience and relevant qualifications
Contract: Permanent Full Time – dependent upon continued HSE Funding
Hours: 35 hours Monday to Friday, but there will be occasional requirements to work evenings and weekends for which the post holder will be entitled to time off in lieu.
Holidays: 25 days per annum
Garda Vetting: Please note that any offer of employment will be subject to Garda Vetting.
Closing date for applications: 10:00am Friday 15th November 2019
About AIDS West
AIDS West are a West of Ireland based charity working in the area of HIV and sexual health - our offices are located in Galway. Our primary function is to provide support for people living with HIV and we also deliver extensive education programmes and information in relation to HIV and sexual health. We are funded by the HSE, but also receive income through donations and sponsorship. Established in 1987, in response to the global pandemic of HIV/AIDS, we have always strived to serve our community with care and compassion. Our role has evolved over those years and expanded from that initial group of dedicated volunteers into a professional and committed team.
We aim is to encourage the development of openness and honesty around HIV and sexual health issues in Ireland. AIDS West is known as a centre for reliable, informed and up-to-date information regarding all aspects of HIV and sexual health. We offer evidence based skills training and support for people with issues about HIV and sexuality and relationships. Through our education programmes, we look to limit future transmission of the HIV virus and reduce the impact of the negative consequences of sexual activity such as the transmission of STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) and the potential for unplanned pregnancies.
AIDS West is a charity which provides a safe and welcoming environment for everyone with whom it works. Our office is based in Galway.
Our Mission is to:
- Deliver the highest quality care and support to people living with HIV/AIDS or STIs.
- Empower those living with HIV to optimise their health and well-being.
- Raise awareness around HIV/AIDS, and STI issues and work to eradicate stigma and discrimination.
Promote positive sexual health without prejudice or discrimination.